27.4% of all households were made up of individuals and 10.7% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older.
The Easter basket was dedicated on April 3, 1941 as the "floral basket," featuring the design patented by Lorain Parks Department employee David Shukait; traditionally, families in Lorain, in celebration of Easter, take an annual photo at the basket.
The rose garden was originally dedicated on May 30, 1932 and has 2,500 roses in 48 beds.
The municipality is located in northeastern Ohio on Lake Erie, at the mouth of the Black River, approximately 30 miles west of Cleveland.
As of the 2010 census, the city had a total population of 64,097, making it Ohio's tenth largest city and the largest in Lorain County by population.
There were 28,231 housing units at an average density of 1,175.5/sq mi (453.8/km²).
The racial makeup of the city was 69.70% White, 15.94% African American, 0.44% Native American, 0.33% Asian, 0.03% Pacific Islander, 9.56% from other races, and 3.99% from two or more races.
In the following years, a post office for "Mouth of Black River," which also held the office for the Justice of the Peace.
The Black River provided several advantages for the early settlement and allowed for it to be a more desirable location to build.
The Lorain County Metro Parks section of Lakeview Park features a playground on the beach, volleyball courts, a bathhouse with eight family changing rooms, five showers, and a concession stand, several gazebos and picnic shelters, lawn bowling, a color-changing fountain, an Easter egg basket, and a historical rose garden.